Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Getting ready

We are spending today setting up house...
a house that includes three boys and three girls, that is!

First, we dismantled the bed that was Ivy and Annette's and moved it out of the way. Next, we rolled up the big pink rug--won't be needing that in there! Then we dismantled the bunk beds from Hannah's old room and reassembled them in Ivy and Annette's old room. This is where Max and Misha will sleep.

Yesterday was spent shopping for gifts and necessities. Necessities being things like shoes, bed sheets (one set each, we'll have to get more later.) , blue blankets and this coordinating set of flannel shirts at $3 a shirt! (Couldn't pass that up, could I?)
And toys being things like some matchbox cars, the little Spiderman card table you see above, a wooden train and track, a few noisy rescue vehicles with sirens (I know, what were we thinking?), and a bunch of plastic dinosaurs.
Sizes. Many of you have asked about the boys' sizes. Another thing we did yesterday was take our measurements to Walmart and figure out what sizes they are. This is how it breaks down:

Max is a boy's size 7. Actually, he seems to be a small seven or a big six but we'll stick with seven so he won't grow out of things too quickly! Adjustable waistbands would probably be good for him. His shoe size is a children's 2.

Misha is a boy's size 5/6T. This means 5T is too short and 6x was a little long. When in doubt, go with the larger size. No "slims" for Misha. He's not chubby by American standards at all but, by orphanage standards, he is. :-) Misha's shoe size is a children's 12.

Vitali is a pretty straightforward toddler's size: 3T. His shoe size is a children's 9.

We leave again on Sunday to head to Atlanta and the next morning we will be at the airport boarding the first plane of our return journey to Ukraine. I hate to go, but at the same time, I can't wait! You know what I mean, don't you?!

We are really missing the boys this week.

Love to you all,
Melissa

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Magnificent!!! I love your blog! Best wishes on your return trip - your family is beautiful. I've enjoyed reading your story. We are adopting two known older boys (7 and 8) in Ukraine, SDA on January 24th - so we're right behind you! :-)

www.ourukrainianjourney.blogspot.com

Kelly

Kelly said...

I just read your comment on my blog - PLEASE contact me via email - operationukraine@hotmail.com. There are some things you can do to help find a home for the little guy with special needs you've met. Please contact me, I can help you!!! There really ARE families out there looking for children with special needs!!!!!!

Tami said...

We're heading out Monday and are traveling through Atlanta...maybe our paths will cross! :)

Rebecca said...

If you are willing to share your address with me, I would love to send something to welcome your boys. I was going to ask a few days ago (at the introductions post) but thought you might not be comfortable with it. Now, with you sharing sizes, I know that you *might* be and I would love to be able to send you all something. Let me know, when you have the chance, and have safe travels! :)

Rebecca said...

oops. Forgot. My email is sgrbear724 at yahoo dot com

BethPie said...

Oh wow!! We've been away for nearly two weeks (in KY and MD) and was thrilled to see all your posts and PICTURES!! Your boys are so handsome... what a beautiful family God has created!!

Praying for safe travels and that your whole family is under one roof really soon!

DoveFamily said...

Praying that all goes well on your trip back to Ukraine!!

Nataliya said...

Melissa, I know exactly what you mean, as I'm going back to Ukraine in 11 days myself!

Max and Misha's room is very cute! I'm sure Vitali's room is cute too!

Wishing you safe travels and a fast paperwork turnaround in UKraine!

Debbie said...

Melissa and Steve,
I check your blog every now and then, and I'm thrilled to see the pictures of your boys! What fun to have a "Brady Bunch" family. :-) The Lord has blessed you indeed. Safe travels--you'll be home all together very soon!

cara said...

Congratulations! I just found your blog through Raisa's blog. I am so happy for you and I have some questions too!
We have a 4 year old boy we adopted from Odessa, Ukraine in 12-2005. We are hoping to go back this year and adopt his two brothers (15 & 11). I would like to know how you set up an on-line account ? for people to make donations. Please share as we are definately feeling a major crunch.
Cara norbycj@hotmail.com
www.ukraineangel.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My name is Dima Solyakov,we lives in Kharkov, very close to Misha's orphanage in Vysokij. We know Misha very good and we so happy for him. Please, please, please, when you will come to Kharkov call to me. My wonderful wife and me will happy help and serve you as much as we can. My phone numbers is: 8-067-573-68-35 (cell phone); 335-02-77 (home); 335-67-26 (office). Please we wil happy meet with you and serve you. May God richly bless you.

Grandma Falk said...

That picture makes their homecoming seem so real--and soon! We're waiting!