Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Much to be thankful for.

Thanksgiving...I need to say something about this "first" quickly before Christmas arrives!!

In the weeks before Thanksgiving, I read to the childrean from a child's chapter book about the Pilgrims, the Mayflower and the Indians. I read of how the Separatists had to sneak to have their services and how it was so important to them that their children grow up in the Lord that they were willing to risk everything toward that end. The kids all listened and asked for another chapter each time. The boys seemed to get quite a bit from the story, something which surprised me. Their favorite things were: Pilgrims, The Mayflower and Indians.

We talked about the reason for Thanksgiving. To thank God. We discussed how this is what the pilgrims did and shook our heads that so many children miss that important part of the story.

A day or so before the Big Day, I took the kids for a nature walk up the street. Anything, to help pass the time till Thanksgiving would finally arrive! The boys and girls both were soooo excited!

This goofy guy (Misha) found a giant leaf which he declared to be a hat for our "POMkyin". Our pumpkin was sure to love it, he assured me...

...It did.

On Thanksgiving we went to my parents home where all my brothers and their families (except one) and my sister and her family were. The boys did fairly well playing with their cousins. This is something that surprised me. I thought that they would love to play with kids but they don't. It is something that they have had to learn. I guess that it is a trust issue; I don't know for sure.
Anyway, this time was much better. Vitali plays just fine now. Like a normal little kid. The other two are "quirky" at best! :-) (Vitali and cousin Simon)

Max tends to hoard toys. I forget to watch for this. I noticed that he would hold onto the toys he wanted--which just so happened to be his cousins') while he watched TV. I had to go and explain to him that he should choose an activity; play with toys or sit and watch television but that it wasn't nice to keep all the toys when he wasn't using them anyway. I saw his brow furrow with the difficult decision but Television won at that point and he set down the toys. His cousins really put up with him surprisingly well.

Why is it that TV casts such a spell? It did serve as a good way to keep the kiddos busy in the last moments before we ate. Misha didn't complain once about being hungry...
The children were all eager for the big dinner! Max liked everything. He is my best eater. He loves pretty much anything we give him. Especially meat and soup! Turkey was his "favit", he announced. He enjoyed sitting by his cousin "Eefin" (Ethan--also what he calls my brother Nathan, kind of a one-word-fits-many thing.)

It was a very lovely Thanksgiving.
We do indeed have much to be thankful for.

Praise the Lord.

6 comments:

Lynn Falk said...

Yes, it was very good. (Except for the virus thing!)

Debbie said...

Wonderful! I love hearing about your family. We are praying for three, now, too... :-)

Mike and Christie said...

Melissa, those are beautiful pics.
I could tell the pumpkin loved his hat. :)

Leslie said...

You're as bad as me! Better last than never! I figure my Christmas update will be in by Valentines. Thanks for the pictures. I think you and I share the same love for the camera. I can see it in your shots. Merry Christmas, sweet friend. May God bless you and yours richly and make His preseence known.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for such a wonderful post. It's so fun to see them experience all their "firsts" with their forever family. What is the title of the book you read to them before Thanksgiving? I'd love to get a copy.
Cath Hendrickson from the
olderkids group

MamaPoRuski said...

You take great pics BTW! Z has been home over a year and still has a hard time fitting in at family gatherings-of course my three kids share only one cousin so it's a little competetive for her attention!
Merry Christmas (in case I don't get back to say it before the new year!)