Friday, November 30, 2007

Six Days and Please Pray

We celebrated Christmas tonight and I can tell you things are becoming much more concrete as we get closer and closer!

I can't begin to describe the conflicting emotions that come along with this whole process. In James 1:27 we read "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is to care for the orphans and widows in their distress." I have to admit there are times I wish I had not ever read this verse but I did and the passion to give these three children a family is so real! I cannot begin to tell you how desperately I want to be in Ukraine this Christmas but at the same time how desperately I want to be at home with Hannah, Annette, and Ivy.

I like to be in control. I like to joke. I like to be disagreeable. Right now and this might not be "spiritual" but I am really scared. I have to trust my in-laws to care for our girls. I have to trust Abel to run my business. I have to trust Dave to watch our house. I have to trust God to get us through this.

In Evan Almighty there is a quote that really hit me about how God doesn't give patience or faith he puts you in situations that require patience and faith. We have chosen to put ourselves in a situation that will require dependence on God. In Exodus 17 the Israelite battle was won when Aaron and Hur held Moses' hands high. These next couple months will not be easy and we need you to please "hold our hands up" in this journey. Please partner with us in prayer.

Steve

This song sums up how I am feeling tonight!


4 comments:

Kristen said...

People you don't even know, including me, are praying for you and your family. May God bless your efforts to be faithful! And may God provide "grace sufficient" for your every need.

Dawn said...

...praying for you this week...

Rebecca said...

HI there. I was led here via Dawn's blog and wanted to say Congratulations to you all on this wonderful event!

I also wanted to say that I have spent the last HOUR reading your blog and devouring each word. I have the great desire to adopt two international children from an African orphanage and my husband has followed me down this path. I will say that He is VERY concerned about the money because we actually rent a home-don't own it and so he doesn't know how we could afford it.

I have learned that there ARE grants and such-but I was wondering, did you do fundraisers, ask for help, or rely only on your own savings and the gifts people gave you freely?! My email is sgrbear724@yahoo dot com. I realize that you are going to be QUITE busy right now so I won't expect to hear back from you right away, but I do hope someday you could help lead me in the right direction. If nothing else, your blog and the words you have written (I really enjoyed the Thanksgiving post!) have been a HUGe inspiration and encouragement to me...that maybe, it CAN be done!

My prayers are with you as you meet the family that the Lord set aside just for you. I have bookmarked you so I can hear all about it and keep up to date!

Blessings to you all!

Kathy & Matt said...

Steve & Melissa,
Thank you for allowing us to follow your journey and to pray with you during this time. God will be with you and will guide you.

As our travel nears, I completely understand your conflicting feelings - I'm so excited to find the child/children God has waiting for us, yet I can't imagine not being with our 5 year old for 4-6 weeks. But I've realized that God is using this adoption to help me grow...primarily more dependent on Him as I learn to trust His timing and plans for our family.

We will pray for God's blessing on your trip and ask Him to give your family peace and comfort as you are apart from each other.