Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How We Do It: the teaser

I have had a bunch of requests for me to let you know how we handle all these new challenges in parenting. I want to answer that but I am not sure I can get to it till later in the week. Until then, I am thinking on it and trying to notice the main things as well as the things we do without thinking about it.

One thing I'll tell you right now that works great is our chore system. I'll show you pictures of that when I post. The other thing that comes to mind is to admit right now that my housework, despite the chores, suffers! I have had to come to terms with that fact. In fact, before the boys ever got here, I planned on it. Life is stressful enough without worrying too much about what I just can't get to and still stay a sane mom!

Melissa

8 comments:

Mike and Christie said...

Oh boy Melissa can I ever identify! LOL
We went from 4 little boys to 4 big boys who helped alot, then no kids at all and now 3 little girls. The difference though was that the girls required LOADS of hands on parenting with loads of time and yes, housework suffers. It is one of those things to be resigned to. If a kid needs rocked and the floor needs vacuumed, the kid comes first. You can always vacuum before bedtime. :)

Debbie said...

Great!! Even the teaser is helpful. :-)

MamaPoRuski said...

We just move the clutter into our bedroom...what parent needs their own sanctuary anyway?! Z once commented on pulling into the driveway that he knew it was our house because of the messy garage! (I'll come clean yours if you'll come clean mine!)

Lynn Falk said...

I admit, my biggest challenge in the home is letting my housework 'suffer'. I struggle with finding a healthy balance between cleaning and quality time with the boys.

I am eager to hear about your chore system. I need to find something that works well for Ethan and Isaac so they can be more helpful. It will allow them to feel a sense of accomplishment at the same time allowing for more family fun.

Chad and Tara said...

I will be interested to hear your ideas. We went from 3 kids to 5 kids in a month (not quite double like you did but a change nevertheless)!

Tara

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Melissa. I can't even keep up with our house, and all we have is the 2 dogs!

Anonymous said...

oops, that was me. Laurie :)

denjer said...

Wise decision about a clean house, Melissa. The one mantra I would always quote when the boys were growing up is..."is this eternal?". One example would be when the boys wanted to wear their hair longer then I would have liked...was that eternal? Nah, on the way to heaven their hair would have been the way that Jesus wanted it anyway. So when you think of a spotlessly clean house...is that eternal? When you get to heaven God isn't going to ask you if your house was clean but he will ask you if you led your childen to love Him. It is a fairly simple mantra to live by but helps to put thousands of things into perspective.
Aunt Denise