Thursday, May 08, 2008

Kagda ya big?

The boys are growing so quickly! At times I think they are not much bigger, although their maturity advances are unquestionable.

DAILY Vitali asks me, "Mama, Kagda ya big?" (Mama, when will I be big?) this is usually his waking thought when he snuggles in my bed and his nightly wish when I tuck him into his.

This little (shh, don't tell him I called him Little!) guy is so full of the life just bursting out of him that he is indescribable! He just can't possibly fit in all the living he wants to do each day. He gives it his best shot, though! He talks
all
the
time ...

...and when he is not talking, I can see him thinking (as he recharges) about how to be like the 'big' people in the house. He is so funny!
Vitali breaks my heart each day at nap time, which always seems to come as such a devastating shock to him. The saddest tears emerge as his tiny shoulders slump and he heads for bed--reminds me of Tigger when he had to keep his promise to Rabbit not to bounce. In fact, he often makes me think of good ol' Tigger!

But this morning there was great joy in his tiny heart when he came in to report to me the good news. ( I'll tell you in a minute...if you don't guess first!)

The last couple of nights, Ivy has been our light-turner-offer at bedtime. She only recently has become tall enough to do this without a chair. It took every s t r e t c h y bit of effort but she could do it!

Vita could also turn it on. (This is a new accomplishment since he's been here but not the great cause for rejoicing this morning) Each night, however, when Ivy would turn off the light he couldn't make that last fraction-of-an-inch difference necessary to turn the light OFF himself! He tried; Oh!-- how he tried!

So the big news this morning? You have probably guessed it: Yep, the little man was beaming as he hop-skipped into my room in the early light, "MAMA! Ya off !" ( Mama, I off!) It took me a minute of bleary, sleepy-eyed blinking and Ivy filled in the translation for me, "Tawee turned the Yight OFF!"

He has been so happy all day, resting on his laurels. Oh, what fun to be four years old...I mean, what a thrill!


melissa

14 comments:

Nataliya said...

What a milestone for your little "big" guy! He must've been so proud to be able to turn the lights off! I love the way he speaks - half Russian, half English, he reminds me of myself :) And his portraits are awesome as always!

christie said...

What a beautiful story. :) Isn't it funny how the simplest events are so fun to watch unfold and so meaningful
to our little ones. (big ones in this case)
Beautiful pictures. LOVE the tractor.
You could call that one:
"Man Child" :)

Lynn said...

I LOVE these pictures! Vitali's personality is great, you can't help but love that little boy.

Beth Laurie said...

That's so funny. If only we got such joy from such simple things.

Stange Family said...

that first picture is such a beautiful picture! you are a great photographer!

Stange Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

I love love LOVE the stories you share - thank you so much for continuing your blog once home. :) It means a lot to me, drowning in paperwork (early in the adoption process). :) You write so well and the pictures are beyond adorable!

Kristen said...

Thank you sooo much for sharing your story, and the always-amazing photos! I check in once in a while, and am always delighted by the way God is at work in all of you, and especially in and through the boys. I've been praying for your family since before you left for Ukraine, and I love to be able to continually lift you up in prayer. Thank you.

kate said...

What a delight to read! I can only imagine the delight he is in person.

David and Sarah said...

What a precious boy!
Blessings,
Sarah

John and Amy said...

Steve and Melissa!
You guys always post such great pictures!
All your children are just beautiful!

Amy

Kim said...

That little stinkpot is just so cute. They are all beautiful, but that little guy just takes the cake.

Debbie said...

I love that he is getting big, and turning off the light switch proves it. (I won't tell him you called him "little"!) :-)

Chad and Tara said...

I have been following your blog since before you got your boys. I don't really "know" you, but certainly feel like I do now!!! I had stumbled upon your blog by "accident" one day and it has really touched me and helped prepare me for the adoption of our little girl, who my husband is getting right now from China. Thank you for being a blessing and encouragement to me. Your children are beautiful. LOVE the new pics of Vitali.