Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Ukrainian night at our house!

We had a Ukrainian night at our house recently. The boys were sooo excited!! Especially Max. He ate at least three bowls of Borscht, the most well-known Ukrainian soup there is. Beets give it and everything in it a slightly odd pinkish-red color. It has vinegar and/or lemon juice and that gives it an acidic taste which is softened when served with a dollop of smetana (sour cream).
Steve made my day by stopping on the way home from work at the international foods store and buying some other Ukrainian yummies: Sandora brand juice, a cold sausage and even some candy made in the very same factory that we lived over when we were in Kharkiv, Ukraine, where the boys are from!
I did my best at phonetically spelling everyone's names in cyrillic. If you read Russian, you may find that I messed up. Doesn't matter, no one seemed to notice!
We had leftovers on Sunday night. Max was so excited he could hardly stop hugging me! Very gratifying for a mom. :-)

Melissa

8 comments:

Tami said...

What a great idea! We usually save ours for Christmas Eve...but maybe we should do it more often.
Could you send me your recipe for borscht? Shad's been asking for it for awhile now, but I haven't had the guts to try making it yet. ;>)

Drew Michelle and Luke Paras said...

Oh, I so wish I could find the juice from Ukraine. I have checked a couple of stores but no luck.

What else did you make? Please post your recipes!

Anonymous said...

What fun! I have some yellow beets in the garden...would they work for the borscht?

Heather

Melissa E. said...

I've never heard of yellow beets. Don't you know that beets are supposed to be RED?!! It totally messes up the phrase to say "beet yellow". :-)

Do they taste the same?

Kevin and Krista said...

Sophie wants me to tackle borsht too. I am afraid I will let her down. How was yours? We have some traditional Ukrainian foods mixed into our meals here, but I love the idea of having the themed dinner.

:) Krista

Mike and Christie said...

What Fun! We love borscht over here too. :)

I never thought about the cok at the international store! I'll have to go check that out, we have one not too far away. :)

Tricia W said...

I was sent to your blog by a friend and have truly enjoyed "catching up" on your family. We are currently in process to adopt our own Ukrainian princess.
Blessings,
Tricia

Courtney said...

I'd like the recipe too--can you post it on your blog, please? :)