Saturday, April 12, 2008

How Far the East is From the West

Over and over I am struck by how deep the parallelism of adoption and Christianity runs. One of the deep issues that many adopted children struggle with is "Will I be sent back?" Vitali recently was asking about when we were going to the Detsky Dom? Finally we got online and got the translation of "You are never, never, never going back to the Detsky Dom. Mama and Papa are your parents and they love you and you are going to live with them forever." Vitali just smiled the biggest ear to ear grin when he heard this.

Later Misha was with me and was talking about the orphanage so I typed in the same note. I wish you could have seen Misha running to announce to Max "Nee Kagda, Nee Kagda, Nee Kagda, edeetya Detsky dom" (We are never, never, never going back to the orphanage!) Since then he has asked to have me play the clip again "YEE SHOO Papa". He will come up and say "Nee Kagda, Nee Kagda, Nee Kagda edeetya Detsky Dom" He is not worried he just loves hearing that and then does a silly giggly grin.

I can't help but think of the passage from Psalm 103:12 "As far as the east is from the west He has removed our transgressions from us." It is by adoption that I never, never, never have to face the consequences of my sin. I can't remember a time when I ran around announcing "Nee KAgda, Nee Kagda, Nee Kagda!"

I so wish you could experience the adoption story of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the same experiences we have had this last couple years. The "preparing a place", "the redemption price", "the leaving the secure sheep and going out to search for the lost sheep", "the rejoicing when one has been redeemed", "the yearning for the others who are lost" and now "knowing how far the East is from the West" are so much more real through this continuing journey.

Here is the video for Casting Crowns' song "East to West"



Steve

11 comments:

The Perrys said...

Missy!!! (Am I still allowed to call you that, or are you Melissa now?) Either way, HELLO and OF COURSE I remember you - and Steve. My name when I was young was Cindy Congdon (Bonnie is my sister). These days I go by Lucinda Perry (but childhood friends will ALWAYS refer to me as Cindy). Warren was in my kindergarten class (and my mom was our teacher :)) Then, after growing up a bit, Steve and I spent a summer or two working at Bethany Camp together - maybe you were there too? Mary, Daniel and David Eimers I have VERY vivid memories of - Mary, because for several years she dated Nathan Ashley, and the twins because, well, they're the twins and provided me with HOURS of entertainment for years on end.
It will take me quite a while to read your "temporary" blog (I noticed that's what you called it when you started your blog back in 2006 :)) It looks like you have been blessed beyond your wildest dreams!
I'm so glad to be back in touch with you. I wish I had known you were in Arizona for a period of time - it's such a little world we live in, huh?! I'll be catching up and reading your blog regularly now. And, where do you all live these days? Keep in touch!

Stange Family said...

Beautiful observations, Steve.

Kathy & Matt said...

Thanks for sharing your perspective on how the adoption process parallels our salvation.

Beautiful image of your boys responding to your answer about never, ever going back to the orphanage!

Beautiful post.

misty said...

Hello My name is Misty, I am an adoptive mother of 2 Asian Angel daughters and 3 biological sons. I host a website to encourage Adoption and Orphan care www.iwillkissyoufortwo.com I was checking my grant links and some how that site had a link that lead to your website! I am a Christian woman and I was so blessed to have came across your story. If you have any information that would enhance my website I would be thrilled. I am working with www.lifesongfororphans.org to encourage orphan care and I am planning a trip to China in September to do a 10 day "work" trip to learn more about this type of work. I am also a volunteer for Shaohanna's Hope through Steven Curtis Chapman. I love your story and your heart. Thank You, In Him~ Misty Peterson

Debbie said...

What a huge blessing God bestows on us as His adopted children, and what a picture of His love for us adoption here on earth paints for all to see! Thank you for sharing this.

christie said...

Isn't it amazing how our adoption journeys so parallel the Salvation experience?
WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL OBESERVATIONS
Steve.
Ya'll are doing a fantastic job with the children.

My heart bursts with joy and gladness every time I pay a visit to this blog.:)

Leslie said...

I love this song by Casting Crowns. I am amazed at how I see our adopted daughter's condition in my own spiritual life. I can honestly say I didn't understand my spiritual adoption fully until we walked this path. Its a beautiful picture of what the Father has done for us.

Drew Michelle and Luke Paras said...

Very profound, Steve!

I think our daughter thinks she is just visiting here. She asked me the other day when she was going back! We have only been home for 4 days!

Jennifer M said...

I love this post. It is so wonderful and humbling. And true! Thank you for having the insight to see the parallels and then for sharing it. I'll never again hear the word "detsky dom" without having the visual picture of myself running into God's arms and saying, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I love the Casting Crowns song too. I always think of Gigi whenever it comes on the radio.

Staci and Damon said...

Beautiful post!

Kelly said...

Dear Steve and Melissa, thank you SO much for this post. I have been reading your blog for months, and i know that at least your aunt is reading ours at www.ourukrainianjourney.blogspot.com! Right now we are in the 'leaving the secure sheep to go in search of the lost sheep', well sort of. Not leaving, just trying to secure that lost sheep. Anyhow, yes, I am with you - Christianity and adoption have such amazing parallels. I also write about this in my blog. I am so glad and uplifted to read how well your boys are doing. PRAISE GOD!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. Kelly