Thursday, December 06, 2007

Just a thought

Tomorrow, December 7th, a day that for Americans, lives in "infamy" we will leave for Ukraine. (It won't live in infamy because I was born on that day!)

I was contemplating all the help we have gotten from so many different people on this journey. I was thinking about the fact we will miss Christmas with our girls and be gone for 4-6 weeks and then I kind of felt guilty. I realized that several of our relatives are in harms way in Iraq and they have been gone for a year not just weeks. I realized that while not "home" I would still be enjoying comfort during this journey. I would be remiss if I did not recognize the significant contribution the US Military has made that helped bring down the iron curtain.

I remember staying up late in 1984 at the age of 9 watching the returns come in for the last great American president Ronald Reagan and being disappointed when he lost Minnesota! 20 years ago Mr Reagan went to the Brandenburg gate and shared this speech. If president Reagan had listened to the mealy mouthed wimps around him he would have never uttered perhaps the most important words of the 20th century:

....General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet
Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr.
Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!...

If not for the courage of President Reagan and the blood, sweat, and tears of the US military backing him up we now would be unable to be entering the breadbasket of the former USSR and giving three young children a home.

Special Thanks to Uncle Larry, Jason, Eric and Wiley!

Steve

No comments: